Monday, May 17, 2010

Water

From the information I have gathered, the average American uses about 152 gallons of water per day. That number is absolutely astounding to me. It's one of those things that you do directly everyday that you don't even think about. Think of how many times you flush the toilet, taking a shower everyday, making some tea, running the dishwasher, the clothes washer...washing your car. It all adds up. Now think of how many people there are in the USA...That's a whole lot of water.

I didn't think about how much water I went through each day until the Nashville flood of a couple weeks ago. When one of our water treatment plants was flooded, we only had half of our cities reserves to use. That meant they wanted all residents to cut their water usage in half. The dishes piled up, the laundry piled up, and the showers got less lengthy. I did my part, and so did everyone else, so I've heard, because the conservation worked. The water reserve went back up to normal levels, and there was no need to worry. I hope the people of Nashville learned a valuable lesson from the avoided water crisis. We don't need to waste so much water. Water is not really renewable, but, I don't know the science of it, but I know they can treat it. I don't know what that means or if that is really a permanent solution, I honestly never thought about it, especially when I used to live next to the largest fresh water lake in the world. There was plenty of clean water around. Here, we got a river...and I know it's much worse in places like Arizona, which is a fucking desert, by the way. How can all those millions of people live in an area nowhere near a large water source? I don't get it. So many questions, I have, about water. I do know that I am working on shortening my showers from now on, if for no other reason than to reduce our water bill, because if I learned one thing from the Nashville flood, is that I can do better an conserving.

No comments:

Post a Comment