Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Back-to-Back Consumption Blogs

It's kind of depressing to hear/read that everything I eat or have eaten throughout my life has been utter shit. While researching the previous blog, I came across this quote from a blog in the Los Angeles Times:

"...we have lots of real-life silliness of that kind on our food packages today. I especially like the listed example of Gerber "Graduates," juice treats for preschoolers, in a package that is covered with pictures of whole fruits and that proclaims it's made with "real fruit juice concentrate and natural fruit flavors" and is "all natural." Each serving contains 17 grams of added sugar. Hardly any of the pictured fruits are in it. The main ingredients are corn syrup and sugar."

There are examples like this all over. And you can't really blame the companies, because there is no singular company you can point at and place blame. It's everyone, all the time. Food companies, and namely, their marketing department, suck. All of them. I feel like I can't trust a single one. I have been eating a lot of Amy's Kitchen products, which all claim to be organic and produced with care and a real effort to be done in the correct way. But with the scale of their distribution, I find it hard to believe that they can really be the "good guys" of the mass produced food industry. No one is the good guy, unless you own a farm down the road, which no one does anymore. Like I said before, it's depressing to think about, that all food is shit. (now that I think about that is very true, all food will at least eventually become shit, in the very literal sense.) But it's true and there is nothing anyone can do about it unless you grow your own, and not everyone has the resources to do that.

Basically, we became lazy in our food selections. We want convenience over quality food. And I have grown up in this convenient world, and I live in it. Old habits die hard, especially ones that are VERY much out of your hands.

So that's why they list caffeine content on the side of cans, because we're all fucked.



No comments:

Post a Comment