Tuesday, February 16, 2010

When was the last time you Google'd yourself?

It is a little frightening to think about. I was thinking pretty hard yesterday about an online presence, and how it could be found and viewed negatively. I actually hid this blog for a long time, and I don't know who had gotten the privilege of reading some of the earlier posts. When I decided I wanted to fully, and unflinchingly and whole-heartedly rip off Big Dave and Company, I wanted people to actually read what I wrote. Therefore I had to watch my mouth, and not be a general asshole to people on the Internet. It is true, if you say something on the Internet, someone is most likely going to read it. It's very easy to sit at the computer and bash another human being. It happens all the time. A fun thing to do is go watch music videos on Youtube and read the viewer comments on the bottom. Hundreds and hundreds of strong-minded individuals take part in expressing their opinion, weather it's strongly for, or against what they are seeing/hearing. Rarely is there that indifferent commenter. The idea of the indifferent commenter would be pretty funny, actually. "Meh, whatever. It's cool, sorta. I like it, but also, I don't." No, it's usually a couple of people bad-mouthing each other through a comment section of a Youtube video. You have got to be kidding me.

But back to the lecture at hand. I wanted people to actually read what I was writing/thinking. I decided to google myself for the first time in a while, I was pretty surprised to see the results. My Myspace and Myspace blog appears, neither of which I have done anything with in a long time. My Twitter account appears. My Facebook? Yup, there it is. Even my participation in the Greater Marquette/Negaunee Area Ska Appreciation Club makes an appearance. www.wearedeadcities.com/bio shows up. That one is actually pretty cool. I also tried to bigdaveandcompany.com myself, and zero posts matched my query, just so you know.

What used to show up, is Gotta Keep em' Bloggerated. Not anymore, people. Blogger is cool like that where you can set it to not find your blog on a search engine. I don't want EVERYONE to find this. Just the people I want to find it. If someone stumbles upon my Facebook, I really don't care. My Twitter? Slightly concerning. Myspace? I don't know how I feel about that...I don't think I care about that either. But keep you're prying eyes off Gotta Keep em' Bloggerated.

You see, I know I can set my Facebook and my Twitter to private and no one can see what I write unless I say you can. But I have a desire to become web famous, and no one with a locked account can be web famous. But after careful consideration, I may change my tact. I can be an ignorant ass munch sometimes, and I can talk a big game. But I don't want anyone to take what I am saying and use it against me. I'm not really an asshole, I just play one in the Internet.

2 comments:

  1. I understand your fears about Internet anonymity. That is why I never use a last name on at Big Dave and Company, and that's why I try to make it so people can't figure out where I and all the Company actually live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bringing this back from the dead. Our good friends at Economicexpert.com have saved a cache of our GMNASAC Wiki entry.

    http://www.economicexpert.com/a/GMNASAC.html

    ReplyDelete