Friday, February 19, 2010

So today, I fired up Google Chrome. Google Chrome is Google's web browser that is supposed to be better and faster than Firefox or Internet Explorer. Now, I stopped using IE ages ago because a friend told me that Firefox does a better job of protecting you against the evils of the internet. In other words, IE will eventually fuck your shit up. I don't know if this is true or not because I don't bother to read into it. To be honest, all of these web browsers are basically the same. I imported my settings for Firefox to Chrome, and not all of my cool tabbed pages on top fit while using Chrome. Strike one. I haven't exactly run across strike two or three yet, but when they do, I'll go back to Firefox.

Another thing that bothers me a little is Google itself. As an outsider of the internet ways and means, I have no idea why Google is as popular as it is. It's a search engine. I get basically the same results from searching on Bing, Alta vista, or Yahoo as I would on Google. Also, about Altavista, when I have used that site to search for something, people always say "whoa! throwback! I remember that site. I used to use it all the time!" I think to myself, why did you stop? The only reason I started using Google was because I thought the name was funny. It had nothing to do with the amazing search results I achieved. I liked the name of it. When it grew into a multi-million dollar company, I was pretty surprised that a fucking white page with a bar to type in and the words Google in multi-colored writing could net someone millions. That's when I found out about selling ads and such that makes a company a lot of money. Good for them, I like to see success.

So it seems like you can't go a week or two with out hearing about Google's newest something that everyone is all a rage about. Gmail, Chrome, Buzz, Wave, Chinese conflict, Android, Talk, Nexus One, Earth, Maps (and street view which is awesome), Voice, Reader...the list goes on and on.

Now I spent so long trying to figure out what Google makes, I forgot my point...

I'm using Chrome for the time being. I may not wait to switch back to Firefox from Chrome because I have a Firefox t-shirt that I wear and it would be mighty hypocritical of me to wear it while using another browser.

No comments:

Post a Comment